Light Up Okotoks has become a much-anticipated event that kicks off the holidays in a most brilliant way.
Celebrate the season with a few thousand of your closest friends at Light Up Okotoks on Nov 20.
As in past years, residents are encouraged to come early because parking is limited. However, downtown Okotoks on a balmy evening in late fall is not that far away from many Okotoks communities.
Elizabeth Street, McRae and North Railway will be closed to traffic from 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm.
- There will be lots of merriment for families with wagon rides, ice sculpture demonstrations, cookie decorating and holiday crafts for sale. Carolers will stroll on downtown sidewalks throughout the evening.
- Live music will begin at 5:30 pm on the Downtown Plaza Stage. The evening includes a visit from Santa at 6:50 pm followed by the lighting of the Christmas tree around 7:00 pm.
- Next to the plaza, families will be given free glow necklaces or can take advantage of the photo booth which will be operated by an Okotoks high school graduation committee as a fundraiser.
- On Elizabeth Street, there will be a Christmas Market at the Elks Hall from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm, free pet photos at the pet hospital from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm and a Pony Petting Zoo beginning at 6:00 pm organized by McBride Career Group.
- At the Okotoks Museum & Art Gallery, you can take photos with Santa, enjoy the Spirit of Christmas Artisan Market, do crafts and decorate cookies and of course, sip on some yummy hot chocolate.
- A live choir will perform upstairs at the Rotary Performing Arts Centre with more arts & crafts on display in the lower portion of the centre.
- A bonfire downtown will keep residents toasty and food trucks will be in attendance to satisfy the whole family.
- The evening concludes with the ultimate holiday light show – fireworks at Lineham Park. A 12 to 15-minute fireworks show is planned from 9:00 p.m.
Light Up Okotoks will also light up local charities. Residents are encouraged to drop off donations of food or cash at the 18 Wheels of Christmas display in support of the Food Bank. There will be a charity barbecue manned by the Okotoks Fire Department, with all proceeds going to the Okotoks Family Resource Centre’s Holiday Helper program.
Residents are also reminded that the Okotoks Art Gallery’s Tree of Warmth is where donations of new hats, mitts and scarves can be hung for those in need.
The Town of Okotoks will set up a Guest Services Information Booth in front of the Municipal Centre at 5 Elizabeth Street to help festival-goers with:
- Lost and found items
- Children who have become separated from their parents and family
- First Aid
- Map of the festivities